MathRocks! is our signature contest series program in its 7th year. This series is for students in grades 1-12 regardless of school they attend or if they are homeschooled.
This year, all MathRocks! rounds are being written in-house to allows us the flexibility of running them in-person for area students with an online option for students who meet one of the required criteria. All participants will participate at the same time, whether in-person or online unless a special accommodation has been granted (this accommodation will be the exception and not easily obtained).
Click any of the below to move directly to that section on this page.
Each contest level will have 5 rounds with Level 4, High School, having a 6th round.
- No calculators allowed.
- Rounds included are:
- Number Sense – 80 questions, 10 minutes – This is a mental math round. Computational and conversion problems should be expected. No scratch paper allowed.
- Sprint – 20 questions, 30 minutes – Word problems.
- Focus – 4-5 problems, 10 minutes – Word problems that require more work than Sprint problems.
- Explain – 1 problem, 5 minutes (this is an experimental round and may change or be removed) – This round is new and requires students to explain their thinking. Students are not required to think in a specific way but their explanation must be logical and complete to receive full points.
- Team – 10 questions, 20 minutes (teams are composed of 3 to 4 students) – Word problems that teammates may work on together or independently as the team prefers. One answer sheet per team is submitted.
- High school ONLY – Estimation (15 problems, 10 minutes)
- All rounds are free response.
MathRocks! is written for grades 1-12. Kindergartners are welcome to participate with grade 1. Parents are encouraged to contact Sherry@NNVMath.org before doing this.
- Level 1 – grades 1 & 2
- Level 2 – grades 3 – 5
- Level 3 – grades 6 – 8
- Level 4 – high school
- Any eligible student who will be physically in the Reno/Sparks, Nevada area the day of the contest, regardless of state or country they normally reside; AND,
- Did not miss school on Friday before the contest due to illness (students who were out ill may participate online IF parents notify NNVMath on Friday before 1pm).
- Student is not in quarantine at the time of the contest.
NOTE: students who are registered for the Series and regularly participate online may participate in-person by providing at least 1-week notice.
- Any student in grades 1-12 who resides in Nevada but lives more than 1 hour from Reno/Sparks (kindergartners may test up to 1st grade), or
- Any students who resides in a rural area in the US and does NOT have access to math contests within a reasonable traveling distance otherwise, or
- Students with medical issues: this includes students going through medical treatments that prevent them from being in public, mobility issues, etc., or
- Students who miss school the day before a contest due to illness may participate online as they will NOT be allowed to participate in-person, or
- Students regularly in-person but who are in quarantine for the date of the contest. or
- Students/families needing a special consideration or accommodation.
NOTE: Verification of the above reason provided will be required. Our goal is simply to confirm that student participating online qualify to participate online.
Contests rounds start at 10 AM for all participants on the following dates, whether in-person or online* and online. Online participants will NOT have an extended testing window.
- October 16
- November 13
- January 8
- February 5
- March 5
- April 2
Check in begins at 9:15.
*Online families with multiple students participating and limited devices should contact Sherry@NNVMath.org to determine possible accommodation.
ALL MathRocks! contests will take place at University of Nevada, Reno this year. We are excited to have UNR’s Engineering Department as our MathRocks! contest host! We will be using multiple engineering buildings. Each level will be assigned to the same building each contest to make logistics easier for kids and families.
Check-in is at the William N. Pennington Engineering Building (WPEB), 1st floor.
Series registration – we HIGHLY encourage this option. It includes all the events in the series PLUS students receive a MathRocks! season t-shirt for only $80.
You MAY register for individual MathRocks! events Registration for each individual MathRocks! contest date is $20 with a $5 discount when you register more than 7 days in advance
Individual Contest Date Awards:
- Monthly contest awards will be announced and presented during an award ceremony at the following MathRocks! contest. This gap in time allows us to deal with any scoring issues and ensure results are correct without making participants and parents wait for an unknown amount of time on each contest day.
- Individual rounds: Ribbons will be given to the top performers in each grade 1-8 plus high school. High school will be awarded by grade if there is enough registration at that level to support it.
- Team rounds: Ribbon will be given to each member of the top performing teams in each division.
Accumulative Season Awards:
Accumulative Season Awards will be presented at our annual Year End Awards Dinner scheduled for May 21st.
Individuals: Trophies will be given to the top performers in each grade 1-8 plus high school. High school will be awarded by grade if there is enough registration at that level to support it.
Registration for all contests are through MyNNVMath.org. If your school is not listed in the school drop down, email Sherry@NNVMath.org with your school name and city/state where it is located.